Sunday, April 13, 2008

Extreme Home Makeover

He's not Ty Pennington, but my husband has done a great job giving our home a "makover." I think all of the projects are finally done! It started last December with the cabinets (see previous post) and ended last weekend with the finishing touches on the paint job. Here's the details:

Here is a BEFORE shot of the house. This really is a before shot because it was taken even BEFORE it was our house, so it's a really old shot too. Anyway, it was the best before picture I had because I forgot to take another one before we started painting.
After the painting was all done! Brady's dad was a huge help while he was here but Brady did most all of the rest by himself. I wasn't much help at all, I admit it!

Brady hard at work.

Before shot of the north side.


After shot of the north side. Look - the azaelas are no longer in bloom!
Before shot of the south side - with a little concrete patch down the side in preparation for the paint.

After shot of the south side.

Okay, enough of the outside. Here's some work we did on the inside. A new chandelier in the entry way. I wish I had taken a picture of the one before, it was so ugly.

A new light above the kitchen table.

And TWO ceiling fans in the front room which was very hard to cool in the summertime. We used to have just one light where the back fan is so we added another light/fan at the front of the room, plus switched the back light to a light/fan. That was the best thing we have done for that room and wonder why we didn't do it sooner!

We have a new fridge! The other one was a small little one we bought with our first house in Snowflake so it was nice to upgrade to something bigger for this family of 7. Long story on the fridge, but the short of it is that we first had the "french door" style - stainless steel. I hated the fingerprints right away and as luck would have it, the fridge didn't work. So before we even got food in it, it went back to the store and we then bought this one. It's stainless steel as well, but a grade that doesn't show finger prints (it really doesn't!) AND it's magnetic! I love that. We were genuinely sad that the first fridge wasn't magnetic on the front. The front of the fridge is my life. I've removed the job chart, lacrosse schedule, school papers, etc. for this photo so it looks a lot cleaner than it usually is.

And finally, a new garbage can! I couldn't bring myself to spend $100 on a stainless steel one, but this little baby sure beats the lovely green one we used to have.
And if you made it to the bottom of this post, you deserve an award! Sorry it was so long!

10 comments:

The Nixon Two said...

The picture of Brady standing on the ladder is much safer than the last time I saw him on a ladder working in about the same area. We are glad it is all finished. Looks great with the trim all done. You can buy stainless steel cleaner at most hardware places and it removes finger prints and stuff like a breeze. Ceiling fans really do make a difference.

Meg and Jeremy said...

Hey so whats my award?! Haha! The house looks great. I love the new paint job. It's a good thing you keep Brady so busy or else we all know he would be getting into trouble!

Shyla Mills Tilley said...

Well hello, Nixons! This is an old seminary student of Bro. Nixon's. Glad to see you are all doing well; what a beautiful family. As you can see, I still think of ya' and appreciate the influence Bro. Nixon had on me when I first joined the church. Just wanted to say hello and let you know I'm still kickin (happily married with 3 girls born in the covenant!) Fun to see your blog. Keep it up, Sis. Nixon.

Shyla Mills Tilley
shyshytilley@hotmail.com

Joanna said...

what is that commandment about not coveting??? I am so green with envy! I LOVE the paint on the house. It looks great!

Chapman Herd said...

Great job on the makeover! Jeff is leaving for China in a couple of days and I have a few makeovers planned for the inside of my house as well!

allredclan said...

I love the paint! It really warms up the look of the outside of your home. And I am incredibly jealous of those home grown pineapples! My favorite of all fruits.

CASSIE said...

WOW! LUCKY YOU! I HAVE BEEN HARPING ON DREW TO PAINT MY HOUSE FOR A YEAR NOW...MAYBE SOMEDAY! LOOKS REALLY NICE--I SCROLLLED DOWN AND SAW THE TARGET PICTURES...THEY BLEW ME AWAY..I HONESTLY CANNOT BELIEVE YOUR KIDS ARE SO BIG! ARE YOU DONE? THEY ARE TOO CUTE TO BE DONE!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

The house looks so fabulous. It's amazing how different it looks with a new color. So much nicer.

Bekah: said...

oh wow all the changes look so great!!! i love the outside paint color. it made a huge difference! how fun!

Brian & Veronica said...

Yes, everything looks great. I'm so excited for the day I get to "renovate/remodel" my own house. I love where we are now, and especially where we're going to be staying in Florida (it's a posh, all-expense paid/furnished apartment). Anyway, good job with all the changes, it's so refreshing to change things up a bit!