Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Half-Italian

After searching high and low and finally paying top dollar for a pizzelle maker off ebay, I feel like I must be half-Italian! Pizzelles are these yummy, thin, crispy Italian cookies that can be bought at Costco. Last Christmas when I asked my (Italian) friend Laura to pick me some more up when she went, she said, "You know, I have a pizzelle maker and you can just make your own." I had no idea there was such a thing! She brought me over some homemade pizzelles the next day. A few weeks later I did borrow her pizzelle maker and my family was hooked!

So finally I began searching for one of my own. I didn't know they would be so tricky to buy. I bought one at Bed, Bath & Beyond but after one disasterous try of making the cookies, I took it back. The trick is to get one that isn't non-stick. I know, normally non-stick is boss, right? But on this gadget, the teflon just doesn't work. I prefer the shiny, stainless steel kind. And, happily, I found it on ebay (where else?). We have been making them often for after-school snacks, Family Home Evening treats, and a few weeks ago I took them to my friend for her birthday filled with real whipped cream...mmm, delicious!

Here's some pictures to get your mouth watering.

Don't judge me by this next picture, my pizzelles aren't perfectly centered!

We usually leave them flat and dust them with powdered sugar:

But this time I got fancy and rolled them, then filled them with cream.


Sooooo delicious. If you are serious about buying yourself a pizzelle maker, email me and I'll give you the best brand to buy!

4 comments:

Chapman Herd said...

YUMMY!!!! HOw about bringing it UTAH and sharing the Joy!??!!!!

The Nixon Two said...

Those look yummy!!!! We'll have to talk more when you get to Utah...Oh ya that's today. can't wait to see you.

Joanna said...

looks delish! We will have to talk.

K Bailey said...

Is it like a flat funnel cake taste