Sunday, January 13, 2008

Kitchen Transformed...My Husband the Hero

Well...the weekend project turned into about a three week-long project. Brady took the kitchen cabinet doors off two days after Christmas and they were finally hung back up yesterday, completely refinished, restained, re-knobed, good as new! We have been wanting new cabinets but didn't want to pay the $3,000 or so that were were getting as estimates, so Brady the Fix-it Man did it himself! I used to tease him that was like Tim the Tool Man when we first got married, but he is all AL now! And I'm Heidi, of course. (If you're not a "Home Improvement" fan, you won't get it...sorry) Okay, here's some pictures.

The old finish was called "pickled oak." It even sounds unpleasant, doesn't it? Kind of like my hair color - dishwater blonde. Ugh.


Here is Brady hard at work in the garage, staining away.

I'm being very brave to show you the insides of my cupboards. This is how the kitchen looked for about three weeks. I was kind of getting used to it - easy access to everything!



And finally, the finished product! I love the dark cabinets. I've said before that I would love a kitchen with black distressed cabinets, but Brady isn't on board for that one, so I like this dark mahogany finish as an alternate. Project complete!

8 comments:

Chapman Herd said...

Love the color! I like black Distressed things too Stephanie....and jeff is leary about it.....That is why I do things when he is gone. :-) (Like my BLACK wall) Then he realizes that I know what I am talking about when it comes to color! Nice Job on the Kitchen! LOVE IT!!!

nixon5 said...

Love the color it looks so good.
Way to go Brady. Mister al. Great job it looks good.

Joanna said...

Oh I really like that. I want new cupboards so bad, but like you don't want to spend the money. We painted ours a few years ago and I wish I would have sanded and stained.

nixon5 said...

I also forgot to mention, my favorite picture was the green grass in the background of Brady in the garage. AAAAHHHHH!

Meg and Jeremy said...

WOW! I am impressed that you did all that work yourselves. Way to go Bro. Nixon! They look really great! I am a fan of the dark cabinets too. It looks really good.

Traci said...

Hey Stephanie,
Thank you so much for posting on my blog. It was so good to hear from you. Your kids are all so cute. I cant believe how big they are. What a cute family you have. I love the cabinets. Its amazeing what a little bit of stain can do. It will be so good to check in and see how all of you are doing. I will email you my "secret on how to put a different background" if you will send me your email address. Mine is coletraci@frontiernet.net. Its good to see you, have a good day.
Traci

K Bailey said...

That looks great! That is one thing that is on our list of "never to do ourselves!"

The Nixon Two said...

I guess if we had three or four weekends of nice warm weather where we could paint outside, we might try the same thing! But, they do look nice. Dark colors are pleasing. I think our family room gets a makeover this summer as here in Utah, we have to wait for the good weather. Maybe we can plan the makeover when you two are in town.