Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Souvenir

A few weeks ago Tucker went on a field trip to St. Augustine, the oldest city in the U.S. I wanted to chapperone but Brady was going to be out of town and since the field trip would last until about 5:30 p.m., I needed to be home to get the other kids home from school.

So, the night before he left we were discussing how much spending money he should bring. He had about $20 in his wallet but I didn't want him to take all of it so I suggested $14. He counter offered (that's so Tucker) and asked if he could take $16. I agreed, but I was nervous about sending him off with money because he is Mr. Forgetful. We talked about what pocket he would keep his money in and I had faith in him.

I picked him up at the school the next evening, excited to hear about his day. He had a big grin on his face and was carrying a package. I thought he might spend a few dollars at the candy store and come home with most of the money he took, but it looked like he'd done a little souvenir shopping.

He proudly held up his newspaper-wrapped package and said, "Mom, for my souvenir I bought newspaper!" Ha ha...show me what's under it. He unwrapped it and said, "Okay, I really got tissue paper!" Under the newspaper was a few layers of tissue paper. Hmmm, so it was something fragile and had been carefully wrapped.

Then he announced, "I spent $15.88 and bought this!"

Yikes! He was holding a dead shark in a bottle! I just about screamed when I saw it. He was laughing hysterically, and I thought there might be something really wrong with him. Then I thought, "Nope, he's just a boy. The dead shark is perfectly normal."

When I told Tucker I thought he would spend his money at the candy shop he said, "Oh, I had 12 cents left and I bought a Jolly Rancher with it!" He was quite proud that he was able to buy a real souvenir AND a piece of candy.

So, now we have a shark-in-a-jar to forever remind us of Tucker's 4th grade field trip to St. Augustine. He even named his "pet." Dexter. But you know, those are my kinds of pets. NO barking, no eating, no pooping, no hair, no furballs, no nothing. They just sit and smile at you (and believe me, it really does look like Dexter is smiling). Don't you wish you had a shark-in-a-jar?

6 comments:

nixon5 said...

Yes a little creepy I must say but truly my kind of fish already dead and no crying when it does die.
I love that he counter offered cracked me up.

Joanna said...

OH Holy Cow! That is so FUNNY and something that Cooper would do! Not even something that you can "lose"

The Nixon Two said...

Can the shark container break if it falls?!! I love his souvenir. The man has good taste. How many of his friends have a dead shark?

K Bailey said...

ha ha ha ha.......

Bekah: said...

what an original kid!

will you e-mail me your address so I can send you a Christmas card? michaelandbekah@gmail.com

TaYloRcD5 said...

FUNNY!!!! That totally cracks me up. He is so funny. I think I would die though, what if it breaks?? Then you have a dead shark on the loose......ewe!!!