Sunday, January 4, 2009

One Last Hoo-Rah

Two weeks of Christmas vacation came and went way too fast. As one last hoo-rah, we went camping.

The Cast of Characters:


The K.S. Family (I'd better just use their initials...what if they don't want to be plastered all over my blog for anyone to seee???)


The L.B. Family


And the B.N. Family
(can we just play a little game of "One of These Things is Not Like the Other" here? Can you look at the three above pictures and guess what it is? It's Me! I'm the only wife that likes to camp so the other two wives were home enjoying some quiet time. I felt a little rediculous. Maybe I'll stay home next time too.)


The Setting:

Jetty Park campground at Port Canaveral Florida. It was gorgeous - right on the beach. It is also right on the inlet where the cruise ships come in and out.

If you look in the far distance of the picture below, you might be able to see the ships that came in early Saturday morning and were docked. The one in the forefront is called "Liquid Vegas" - it's a gambling ship that goes just off shore that it's legal, you gamble all night, then come back with your winnings (or take your loss, whatever applies).



We were just getting started on our tin foil dinners when we saw Royal Caribbean's "Monarch of the Seas" heading out to sea. Everyone dropped what they were doing and ran for a picture. Everyone but Courtney, that is. She took her tin foil with her!


Doesn't it make you want to go on a cruise? It does me!

We made up some mean foil dinners. They were delicious!



Then while the coals were hot we popped our Jiffy Pop popcorn (remember those?):

AND roasted marshmallows for s'mores. There was no shortage of yummy food here!



Along with plenty to eat, there was plenty of entertainment. For starters, we were just a short walk to the beach where the kids could dig for hours. Several of the boys took turns being buried.
Have you ever seen Spencer looking so buff?

Jordan was all excited about being buried until the girls started turning him into a Mermaid.
When they wanted to put Mermaid "parts" on him, he was outta there!
Brandon, on the other hand, was very comfortable in his mermaid skin. I'm thinking next time I'd like to get buried - I've never been a double D before!


There was also a playground, then back to the beach at night for games with the glowsticks.


Saturday morning L.B. had the patience of Job as he taught my kids to fish.

Courtney was quite the fisherwoman. She caught a biggie, but darned if he didn't get away! Nate was the only one to reel one in.

Meghann slipped and fell on the slippery rocks and narrowly escaped a trip to the emergency room. She cut her hand open pretty good, but we decided a few bandaids would do the job. I'm sure she'll have a scar, but a scar on the hand isn't so bad is it?

Saturday was the most glorious beach weather I think I've ever experienced. The temperature was around 80. The humidity was low. The wind was almost non-existent (which is rare for the beach). It was so glorious, in fact, that Brady and I promptly fell asleep in our beach chairs for a little cat nap.


A big THANK YOU to K.S. for remembering his camera. I forgot mine, which is why I'm actually IN some of the pictures!
It was a wonderful way to say goodbye to a relaxing, memorable Christmas vacation. I'll be sad to send my kids back to school tomorrow. It's like the first day of school all over again!

7 comments:

The Nixon Two said...

Another thing I saw that was not like the other pictures was the fact the Nixon clan had 5 children while the other two families had just one kid.

The Nixon Two said...

Some how it seem just wrong to see all of you in summer cloths while the rest of us are knee deep in Snow.

Natalie said...

That is definitely camping FLORIDA style!! Looks like FUN!!

Chapman Herd said...

I agree with the Nixon two...The first thing I noticed that wsn't like the others was the size of your family! You guys do such fun things as a family! Its so blasted cold around here all we did for Christmas vacation was stay inside, play a little rockband and drive each other CRAZY!!! I on the other hand, am excited for schol tomorrow!

TaYloRcD5 said...

Fun Fun Fun AGAIN!!!! LOVE the picture of Muscle man the best!!! You go Spenny!!!

Joanna said...

I don't even know what to say about beach picture in December. I am FREEZING!!!

You ROCK that you camp with your family. I am the same I love camping and my two best friends here don't love it as much.

allredclan said...

In response to which family is not like the other, the first thing I noticed was the size of your family compared to the others! ;) Definitely not the norm there, I imagine.
And camping on the beach? IN DECEMBER? I'm truly jealous. It looks like you all had a great time. Good for you for going! We miss you. =) <3