Sunday, August 31, 2008

Roy Aquatic Center

For some reason, one of our traditional things to do when visiting Utah is to go to the Roy Aquatic Center. I think my kids love it so much becuase they don't have nearly as many rules as our Aquatic Center. For example, you can bring FOOD in, you don't have to be a certain HEIGHT to ride the waterslides, and they have two DIVING BOARDS! For my water-loving kids, it's just perfect. That was the older four kids jumping...now for Jordan's brave jump off the high dive. He said he wanted to try it and as he's climbing up the stairs, the lifeguard next to me is saying, "Can that kid swim?" to another lifeguard. I told them he was mine and that he could swim so off he went.

He walked pretty slowly up to the edge of the board, then off he went!
Right into a belly flop! Ouch! From the way he was crying when he got out of the water, I knew it had to have hurt.Brady is trying to console him a little here and tell him what a good job he did with a high five, but if you look at his face, he's not to happy about the jump. Here's the cute part of the story. We were telling him how you have to do a "pencil" dive off the high board so your body goes straight into the water (thus avoiding the belly flop). After about an hour or so he told me he wanted to try again. I asked him if he was sure and he said yes. I took him over to the diving board where he very hesitantly walked to the edge, then jumped in just perfectly. After he got out of the water and got lots of hugging and loving he said to me, "I just knew the Holy Ghost would help me do it right!" I thought that was too funny! Oh the things the Holy Ghost can do! :)

2 comments:

nixon5 said...

We LOVE the Aquatic center. I only made it once this year. I love how brave jordan is. That is so great.

Joanna said...

that place looks like it would be so FUN! I love the people in the back of the picture of Jordan just looking at him go off. He is very brave!