Friday, October 17, 2008

Bring It On, Mother Nature

We are going to have a cold front this weekend! Hooray! Our high for Sunday is supposed to be a chilly 78 degrees. I'm going to break out my sweaters and maybe even my wooly socks. To celebrate the cold front, we're going to host a little neighborhood "movie outside" Saturday night. We're going to show an assortment of Halloween cartoons such as this classic:
I'm even going to serve some delicious hot wassil. If you're in the mood for something to warm you, try this recipe. And I'll warn you, it will warm you! We served it last night at our Stake Primary Leadership training and after a few sips, the Stake Primary Pres. and I were starting to sweat! So, make sure it's actually cold outside before you serve it. That sentence doesn't make a lot of sense if you consider the fact that our "cold" front of 78 isn't exactly anywhere near cold, but in Florida we have to celebrate every drop in the temperature.


Spiced Cider
8 cups apple juice (or cider...I used juice)
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
3 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
1/2 t. ground allspice
1/8 t. salt
1/8 t. ground nutmeg
Additional cinnamon sticks, optional

In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Discard connamon sticks. Use addtional sticks for sitrrers if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings. (It's easy to make this for large crowds as well. I quadrupled the recipe for leadership meeting and served about 30 but could have served about 50!) Enjoy!

3 comments:

allredclan said...

I'm laughing. Really I am. 78 degrees and the sweaters and the wolly socks? Actually those temps sound GREAT right now, as there is still a small patch of snow on the back lawn that is left over from the 7 inches we woke up to on Sunday. Love your movie nights. That sounds like such a fun tradition.

nixon5 said...

I'm not really laughing Im wishing and wishing I was there. I HATE the cold of any kind. I am going to try your yummy receipe though. It sounds delish.

The Nixon Two said...

I love your out door movie nights! They were so much fun when I was there. I would love to be able to do that here.